My older son, C, just graduated from High School June 5. Went with 8 fellow graduates to serve with World Orphan in Haiti for 1 week. They got back last night. Their school is starting a partnership with them, raising money to help a church provide and care for about 20 orphans. They also did things like delivering water to slums of Port Au Prince (10,500 gallons) where at their 3rd distribution site, fights over the limited clean water broke out, helped hold and love on babies at a Mother Theresa' home for sick and dying babies. They experienced and saw a lot. One boy, after the day at Mother Theresa's, wrote a beautiful blog post about the experience. He concludes with this, after holding a 2 1/2 year old malnourished girl for a few hours I believe this post summarizes their trip, and gives us hope when we see so much suffering, and wonder how what little we can do can really make a difference:
"When it came time to leave, I placed Franchesca back in crib number 9 in the blue room and the questions reentered my head: “When will be the next time you feel the warmth of the sun? When will be the next time you smell fresh air? When will be the next time you will be held?” I stared at her deep dark eyes for a while. “When will be the next time someone shows you Love?”
And I realized that this made the difference: Love. I couldn’t fix all the poverty; I couldn’t fix all of the death; I couldn’t fix all of the orphaning and hunger and disease. I can’t change Haiti. But I can love. I can hold one child. I can hold her in the same way God would hold her. I can bless a widow. I can deliver water to her and her neighbors in the slums. I can’t change all of Haiti, but I can show Haiti God’s love. The love that he is constantly showing them. The love that he longs for them to know. The love that he has for each one of his children; sick or healthy, dying or thriving, rich or poor, Haitian or American, He loves us all. And that’s what I showed Franchesca, Love…"
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment